Wednesday 28 August 2013

Clandestine Cake club




I went to my first Clandestine Cake Club a couple of weeks ago - For those of you who haven't heard of them, they are a cake club! This is from their website Bake, eat and talk about Cake. Gather in secret locations, UK & overseas. Not like any other club. It’s all about CAKE. 
There is a club in Leamington Spa and has been going for a few months but I haven't been able to make any of the dates until now. Each meeting has a different theme and this months was 'Free From....' so a cake with something missing. I had a look on the internet and found a recipe for a dairy and gluten free Blueberry and Coconut cake and thought that sounded delicious and easy! It used Coconut oil instead of butter and Coconut flour instead of normal flour. I found the oil very easily in Morrisons and for only 99p which I thought was a good price , I hadn't seen coconut flour before but found out that Holland and Barratt sold it so popped in and bought some. Its a lot pricier than normal flour but you don't use a lot of it.
This is the recipe that I used .

It was easy to make , I hadn't used the coconut flour before and it is a little different to normal flour in that it soaks up any liquid very fast! But this was mentioned in Victorias recipe so I was prepared. Peeping through the oven door it had risen beautifully but as I took it out it flopped to a very pathetic state! When I went to the cake meeting not only was I late and everyone was tucking in but I also had to apologise for my sorry little cake! But the good news was that it tasted delicious and a few people asked for the recipe which was flattering so I didn't feel too bad after that.

Probably the best thing about the Clandestine Cake Clubs are that you get to take home everyone elses cakes!! So I came back with 6 different types of cake which was good! There were 18 cakes in total and some of them were divine and you could see that some people had taken some time making them - unlike me who only had the time it takes a 10 month old to have a morning nap.
I felt a bit self conscious at the meeting as I went on my own and everyone else had a friend with them and thought it would look a bit geeky and weird if I took photos of the cakes so didn't! and I also forgot to take a picture of my finished cake! but as it was so easy I made another one the next day and took it to my mums for afternoon tea.
 My brother and his wife came to say goodbye  (above with Molly) as they were off on a 7 month holiday - lucky things..

I will defintely make this cake again and look forward to the next Clandestine Cake Meeting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment