Wednesday 5 June 2013

Chocolate Cake

Who doesn't love chocolate cake???
I hardly ever make this as I always think of the nasty dry chocolate cakes that you get in horrid little cafes and this is always the only cake that is on the menu... Well determined to make a cake for my lovely friend Sarah who came to visit this weekend , I went in search of an EASY and delicious one... Everything has to be EASY and QUICK these days as I can only cook when Molly is napping and that can be either an hour or in some cases 2 hours - woo hoo !
So looking through some of my food magazines I came across A Classic Tearoom Victoria
Look at the chocolate oozing down the sides mmmmmm...... Apparently it serves 10 ?! The overall verdict was delicious .. Moist..and chocolatey .....will make this again , would be good as a children's cake....

CLASSIC TEAROOM CHOCOLATE VICTORIA
225g unsalted butter
225g caster sugar
175g self raising flour
50g cocoa
2tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract

  1.  Heat the oven to 190c/fan170c/gas 5
  2.  Put all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and cream together !!! How easy ???
  3. Divide between 2 x 20cm cake time and smooth over and bake for 25 mins

To make the buttercream filling....
100g softened butter
100g icing sugar
2tsp cocoa powder

  1. Blend all the ingredients together until pale and fluffy
  2. Spread over the bottom sponge & sandwich together with the top.

To make the icing........
100g milk chocolate
15g butter
30g cocoa powder
50ml coffee or water ( I used water)
1tbsp golden syrup

  1. Melt the butter and chocolate over a pan of simmering water ( I blasted it on 10 second intervals in the microwave) meanwhile combine the rest of the ingredients in a small saucepan an heat until almost at the boiling point giving it a whisk until smooth.
  2. Add the pan of ingredients to the melted chocolate  and blend to a thick icing and smooth over the top of the cake letting it drip down the sides.....
  3. EAT!
We all agreed it was yummy and fortunately Sarah took some home so there wasn't too much temptation left for me although I did eat the rest of it for myself..
I am entering this cake into a fab blog that I have discovered Mrs M recipe link for June


2 comments: